I’m back with Part 2 of choosing VMworld 2020 content sessions! If you missed the first post, you can find it here.
In my previous post, I discussed distinguished speakers and why their sessions should be considered. For this post, I’m going deeper and looking past many of the distinguished speakers. Below are sessions that caught my eye and some presenters whose names didn’t necessarily ring a bell with me (yet!). I like hearing from new speakers to expand my network and to learn presenting tips and tricks from others.
I’ve broken my choices down into categories. Remember—you can favorite any of these sessions for your own agenda by clicking the heart icon next to each.
Access the Content Catalog now and search for these sessions by session ID or by session title.
ProDev is top of mind for VMUG members. It’s important to hone those non-tech skills. When you do, you’ll discover additional career opportunities.
- Be a Brand and Not an Employee with Kanika Tolver [ETPD2116]
- Reprogram Your Personal OS with Brain Hacking with Iris Polit [ETPD2501]
- Outstanding Presentations – How to Improve Your Presentation Skills with Anderson Duboc and Caio Oliveira [ETPD1361]
Networking and Security
NSX-T (now part of Advantage) is the bridge for your hybrid cloud. If you don’t have the networking skillset, start learn at VMworld. You’ll need it.
- VMware NSX-T – Getting Started with Kevin Moats, Joe Collon, and Pearline Vijayakumar [HOL-2126-95-ISM]
- NSX Mindset The Network & Security Shift To Distributed System Architecture with Chris McCain [VCNC2850]
- Introduction to Networking in vSphere with Tanzu [VCNC1184]
I’m still learning the basics of DevOps. I’m also learning how the average VMUG member will use K8s. We have much to learn and getting the basics is where to start.
- Cloud Native Fundamentals: Containers and Kubernetes 101 for the VI Admin with Scottie Ray and Alexander Ullah [KUB1888]
- Comparing Kubernetes to Traditional Software Deployment Methods with Keith Lee and Stephen Carter [KUB2366]
- How to Become a Kubernetes Admin from the Comfort of Your vSphere [KUB2038]
My roots are in telcom. I’ve lived through the voice/data converge and still try and stay up to date on telcom trends.
- Show Me the Money! Monetizing 5G and Enterprise Services with VMware with Bryan Beal and Kevin Blair [TLCG2636]
- Transforming 5G Economics with an Automated Telco Cloud Platform with Jean-Philippe Goyet [TLCG2637]
- Accelerate Deployment of a Distributed 5G Core Network with Philip Kippen and Serge Maskalik [TLCG2644]
It all begins with vSphereso get all the content you can. Especially with the new features in v7.
- What’s new in vSphere with Himanshu Singh and Jared Rosoff [HCP2110]
- Planning a Successful vSphere 7 Upgrade with Steven Rogerson and Chris Morrow [HCP1183]
- Simplifying vSphere Lifecycle for Consistency and Easy Updates with Niels Hagoort and Nigel Hickey [HCP1937]
- vSphere with Tanzu 101 for the vSphere Admin with Mike Foley [KUB2162]
- vSphere with Tanzu Deep Dive with Bo Fu and Derek Beard [KUB2469]
Storage and Availability
Those looking to build off your vSphere skills, look to vVols and vSAN. Also, SRM is a favorite of mine.
- Deconstructing vSAN: A Deep Dive into the Internals of vSAN with John Nicholson and Pete Koehler [HCI1276]
- vSAN 7.0: A Platform for Both Virtual Machine and Containerized Workloads with Duncan Epping and Cormac Hogan [HCI1814]
- What’s New in Site Recovery Manager and vSphere Replication with Cato Grace and Velina Krasteva [HCI1452]
- vSphere Virtual Volumes (vVols): Modernize Your External Storage with Cody Hosterman and Jason Massae [HCI1692]
Automation, chargeback, analytics, and more. Learn how to better understand and manage your environment.
- What’s New in vRealize Automation with Karl Fultz and Liad Ofek [HCMB2246]
- Operationalizing Your Cloud: Part 1 – Creating Your Private Cloud with John Dias and David Overbeek [HCMB1493]
- Rein in Cloud Management with vRealize with Taruna Gandhi and Gabriel Martinez [HCMB1522]
- What’s New in vRealize Operations with Kameswaran Subramanian and Matt Jones [HCMB1518]
You will hear more and more about Cloud Foundation. Start now to get to know the technology.
- Demos, Deep Dives and More: Explore Day 2 Operations with VMware vSAN with Mohammed Raffic Kajamoideen and Suresh Kemparaju [HCI1121]
- Customer Panel: The Good, Bad and Ugly with VMware Cloud Foundation with Sheldon D’Paiva and Brian Morse [HCI1551]
- Zero-Touch Private Cloud with VMware Cloud Foundation and vRealize with Yaseen Kadlemakki, Mitesh Pancholy, and Christopher Appell [HCI2086]
Desktop & App Virtualization
We all like direct access to VMware execs like Shawn Bass. What’s even better are real world examples and demos!
- CTO in the hot seat: VMware EUC CTO Shawn Bass Answers Your Tough Questions with Gabe Knuth and Shawn Bass [DWHV2824]
- Carl Webster on VMware VDI: What I learned after 6 weeks of testing Horizon with Gabe Knuth and Carl Webster [DWHV2819]
- The Nerdfest VDI demo: VDI*(AI + ML + Deep Learning + GPU) with Johan van Amersfoort [DWHV2820]
- Employee experience from buzzword to practice: Real implications for VDI with Jack Madden [DWHV2821]
COVID-19 makes drop-ship devices even more important.
- Real-World Steps to Cloud-First Management (Part 1) A Windows Admin Panel with Aditya Kunduri, Jack Madden, Angela Lacy, and Mike Ziegler [DWMM2813]
- Drop It Like It’s Hot: Drop-Ship and Provision Windows Devices Remotely with Aditya Kunduri [DWMM2814]
- Management Hackers: Modern Management Tips and Tricks for Windows Admins with Aditya Kunduri, Brooks Peppin, and Adarsh Kesari [DWMM2815]
Wow! Can you believe that this list only scratches the surface of the sessions available at VMworld this year?! I hope you find this list helpful but I encourage you to review all 800+ sessions and pick the sessions best for your journey.
See you online!